I can't believe it is already Thursday! This week flew by......so let's get into Three Things:
1. So G, my oldest son went out and got a new tattoo yesterday. I must be a weird mama but when he got his first tattoo (at 16) it felt kinda like a milestone in a way. I have had my share of negative comments such as "I would never let my kid get one at 16" or "he is going to regret that one day".
A: never say never when it comes to life (and children).
*and most of the time, the people who give advice or make comments about parenting do not even have any children. Or they judge situations that they have never been in, such as teenage years.
B. My son got a Bible verse down his forearm. Not a naked girl or a giant Spongebob! (no offense to any people sporting Spongebob, Patrick or any of the Bikini Bottom gang)
So yeah, I love tattoos as I have mentioned before. I believe they can be a great way to express yourself . I am intrigued when I see them. I wonder who or what they represent.
G came to me and told me what he wanted for his next tattoo. Together we found the perfect font and designed it. (nothing like a little sketching-tattoos-with-your-mom bonding time to create lasting memories, huh?). As you can see, it says "In God I Trust" where he can flip it around to also say "I Trust In God". We dropped it off at the tattoo shop and made an appointment for the following week.
Well that week....G received some pretty devastating news. He found out that his basketball coach, who is an amazing guy.....has cancer. It really shook G up. This coach has been so influential in G's high school years.....he actually is one of the reasons G is still in high school as academically he struggles. But his determination to play and star on the basketball team has kept him focused and disciplined. We owe alot to Coach D. And Gunner felt he owed him this added piece as well.
Can I ask you to please pray for G's coach this week? He starts his treatments and we believe in the power of prayer and miracles. We believe that when two or three come together, God is with us and answers our prayers.
2. So I was actually mad when I went to the grocery store and saw the price of hummus. I think I might have even said "Are you kidding me?" a little too loud when I asked for a price check with that teenager working in produce. He gave me this strange look and quickly resumed stacking his cantaloupes. It was like this thimble sized container (OK, I am exaggerating, but it was something that would last about 12 minutes in my house) and it was priced $4.29!
So not giving in to the MAN (who is the MAN anyway?).....I came home and with the help of a friend found a recipe to make my own. I went a little too heavy with the balsamic vinegar so we toned it down with more garlic, onion powder, salt and some toasted sesame seeds. But for the price of a couple cans of chickpeas and other things I already had in my cupboard....I will never be buying hummus again. The great thing, is that you can make it with whatever added ingredients you like. I am going to try blending in roasted red peppers the next time I whip up a batch.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled (I used 2-3 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic)
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar(this was WAY too much.....I would suggest maybe 3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
As I mentioned, we added toasted sesame seeds and onion powder too. Chill before serving.
If you don't have a food processor, which I do not.......use your blender on "pulse" setting. It is a little harder as you have to keep stopping and mixing it up......but it worked!
This ended up giving me enough hummus to fill up a medium size tupperware container and send some home with my friend.
It was awesome with toasted pita pockets, tortilla chips and pretzels......it basically lasted 2 days in this house! But it probably cost me less than $2.
3. Don't forget to enter my giveaway for the yummiest hand-made soap ever!!!! Bath Artisan Soaps is also offering FREE shipping to you all this weekend.......great time to treat yourself!
OK, so there you have it........my Three Things This Thursday! Please join in and leave your link with Mr. Linky! I could always use a great laugh or learn something new such as a helpful hint or a new recipe.
Have a great day! We are off to a wildlife sanctuary for a homeschooling field trip. :)